Naira Marley: Things You Should Know About Afeez Fashola aka Naira Marley
On May 10, 2019, Nigeria’s anti-corruption agency, EFCC arrested and detained afrobeat musician, Afeez Fashola aka Naira Marley, the ‘Isaa goal’ singer appeared in court 10 days later and the judge ruled that he should be remanded in prison, he was later granted bail.
Naira Marley’s name has been trending after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission arrested him just a day after he released the music video ‘Am I a yahoo boy?’.
He was granted bail and his case was adjourned for further for hearing in November.
Here are the things you should know about Naira Marley
1. Even though he was born in Nigeria, Naira Marley moved to Peckham for England when he was 11 years old.
2. He got his stage name from late reggae icon Bob Marley who he considers his inspiration.
3. Naira Marley said he his is the pioneer of AfroBaashment – a sound that is the fusion of afrobeat with Jamaican and British influences.
4. His first single in the UK that put him in limelight is “Marry Juana” that he released in 2014 with Max Twigz.
5. Naira Marley popular song ‘Issa Goal’ is a collaboration with Olamide and Lil Kesh. the song became an instant hit and the unofficial anthem for the Super Eagles during the World Cup. He has collaborated with Olamide before on a track titled “Ko Si Werey.”
6. He blasted Simi after she condemned “yahoo yahoo” on social media. He did an Instagram Live video where he said yahoo is not a crime.
View this post on Instagram
If u know about slavery u go know say yahoo no b crime..
7. In early May, the singer alongside Zlatan release song titled “Am I a Yahoo Boy.” Few days after they released it, EFCC arrested them for alleged internet fraud. They released Zlatan some days and charged Naira Marley to court.
8. Naira Marley management has released a statement saying that he’s is yahoo boy and his lawyers have been working to prove his innocence.
9. He was born on May 9, 1994, a day after his 25th birthday the Nigeria corruption police arrested him.